Monday, November 06, 2006

Stagecraft: From Script to Stage - Volume VII


This will be a continuing series of blogs that will cover the development of the play I am working on. Inspired by the Production Diaries and Behind-the-Scenes videos on newer DVDs, I have decided to showcase some of the drama behind the dramas that are put up on stage.

The final performance of the play I began working on so many months ago was a great success. It was wonderful to see a full auditorium and that too, filled with so many friends. My family has been involved in the Indian stage here in Washington from the time they arrived back in the 1970's. Having grown up in the wings and watching my parents both on stage and off, I gained an affinity and desire to be a part of the action. I started off helping usher during performances and then moved into areas of more responsibility. Having always loved music, I naturally gravitated towards doing the sound design for many plays.

Over time I took part in performances as an actor. Not speaking the language presented certain challenges but I took them on and did my best. Directing was one of the last challenges I had long dreamed of. Many years ago, when I was still uncertain of where I wanted to go with my career I always considered directing in the movies. I watched the documentaries on how various directors worked long before they became part of DVDs. I used to watch them and as time went on I got a greater appreciation for the role of the director.

I eventually ended up in another field altogether but the bug of being in theatre stayed with me. I watched my dad direct so many plays and I realized that it was something I would love to do. I am a very hands on director. I love to show what it is I'm envisioning. It's a very personal thing and not all directors do it, but I wanted to try it. I was fortunate to have a great team of actors and on the production side who were there supporting me. For a first time director, you can't ask for more. My parents and my brother all kept me grounded and I had friends who always supported my efforts. These past months have been fun, stressful, exciting and nervewracking. But it's an experience that I would never trade for anything else.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 9:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Jay,
I used to read your columns and wished I can have such a nice site. It is great pleasure to work with you and be a part of such a nice Natyabharati team. Stage and Film industry needs humble, young and dedicated director like you.
Keep walking and I am sure, one day I will see your name in Hollywood and Bollywood.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home