Friday, June 02, 2006

Stagecraft: From Script to Stage - Volume 2

This will be a continuing series of blogs that will cover the development of the play I am working on. Inspired by the Production Diaries and Behind-the-Scenes videos on newer DVDs, I have decided to showcase some of the drama behind the dramas that are put up on stage.

Nearly two months after posting the first in this series I have the opportunity to post the second in the series. This weekend I will be holding auditions for the play. I have been working on this project on and off for the last two years so the vision in my head has been growing more and more. I have certain ideas of what I hope to accomplish and having worked with the group before I know to temper my visions with realistic expectations. I've found it better to go in with realistic expectations so that when you are faced with decisions, it isn't as painful to go a different road.

I have selected music and have started noting down where I believe the action will be taking place during certain dialogues. I have written in notes about where I would want music to be heard and where I will need sound effects. I know I have a tremendous responsibility on my shoulders with this project and I want to confirm everyone's faith in me. I have been looking forward to audition day for some time now. I have gotten good responses from a lot of people and I'm hoping for a decent turnout. Once casting is done I hope to begin actual rehearsals in the next month or so. October is right around the corner and it will be here sooner than I expect I'm sure.

The reality of that set in during the last play when one of the door prizes for the audience was a pair of tickets to the fall performance of the play. It was a bit surreal to hear the play being announced like that in a public forum and seeing as how the audience for the group has been on the rise again; I want to make sure that we keep that trend going.

I wondered about how to do the auditions. Whether to send copies of the script out so that interested parties could read them and come prepared or whether not to. In the end I decided not to since it would be unfair to those who received word late and were unable to prepare ahead of time. I decided to do cold readings of scenes from the play so that I could give everyone an equal chance to put their best efforts forward. They may not be as polished as a prepared piece but at least it will give me some insight into how certain people may fit in certain roles.

It's quite exciting for me and I'm looking forward to this new venture. My family has been involved in the local theatre for a number of years and this is the next step for us. I look forward to the fun!

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 7:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home