Monday, May 29, 2006

Remembering Our Heroes on Memorial Day


The movie "Superman Returns" will be opening about a month from now. Growing up I was fascinated by the characters of Superman, Batman, and Spider-Man. I thought they were true heroes in that they put their lives on the line for people they didn't know. They served the public for the greater good and darn it! they had some cool costumes. As I grew up, my fascination with them reduced somewhat but I still enjoy the movies and watching the occasional cartoon with my three young cousins. I often found myself wishing I could be a hero like that. With the powers to make a difference in the world. As I grew I also realized that these kind of heroes don't exist and may never exist. It was sad to realize that. But heroes do exist.

On this memorial day I wanted to take a moment to remember the real heroes. In this picture, beautifully illustrated by Alex Ross, we see Superman and Krypto the Super Dog taking a moment to see the real heroes too. They are doctors, firemen and policemen among others. Not shown are the soldiers and warfighters of this country who continue to put their lives on the line for our country and it's ideals.

These people are the real heroes. They put their lives on the line for the greater good. They serve their fellow man and citizens by giving their time and their talent to those who can benefit from it. The rewards they earn may not be much monetarily, but it is more than made up for by the appreciation they must earn from literally thousands of people who they help every day.

A true hero doesn't have to change the course of mighty rivers on his own, or change the rotation of the Earth. It's all the little things that make the world of difference to the lives they touch. Helping a sick relative get better. Saving a loved one from a fire. Protecting our streets from crime. Protecting our nation and our friends from threats. It doesn't matter what country they are allied with, these everday heroes can be found everywhere. The don't always wear uniforms but they all have one accessory in common and that's a good heart. They do it for the greater good and not because they expect monetary compensation. They do it for the greater good and not for the glory. They do it for the greater good because it's the right thing to do. We may never know all their names and we may never have a chance to thank them all. But on this day, let us remember all of the heroes out there. They may not have capes or their own comic books, but they are and always will be heroes nonetheless.

1 Comments:

At 3:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo I absolutely adore your site. You have beautiful graphics I have ever seen.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home