Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Good Hamburgers


I enjoy a good burger as much as the next guy. Over the years, my taste in burgers has improved, or so I like to think. To hear my parents tell it, the basic hamburger at McDonald's was the first ever food that I ate in its entirety (I was a picky eater). From there it was all apparently downhill. Ever since then I have gone from the McDonald's burger to bigger and better burgers from a variety of places. No please don't assume that I'm a walking coronary waiting for a place to occur. On the contrary, I don't ingest a burger every chance I get, but if the opportunity presents itself and there looks to be an interesting opportunity to try a good burger, I don't hesitate.

I've been to places that serve it to you like a delicacy to places that give it to you bare bones to places that heap on the toppings to the point that even an anaconda would have a hard time opening its jaws wide enough to take a bite. I've been to Cheeburger Cheeburger in Rockville where, if you eat their one pound burger, they will snap your picture and post it on the wall. I am proud to say that I have two such photographs on the wall and in their books. I remember dressing up for the first time my family and I went to Hamburger Hamlet. My dad kept teasing my brother and I about the sign by the door which read 'Proper Attire Required'. My brother and I kept fidgeting wondering if we'd be asked to leave based on the fact we wore sneakers.

I recently discovered two new burger delights in the area. The first being the burgers at Five Guys. Five Guys have various locations around the Washington Metro area and are a relatively new chain. I don't believe they've franchised out to the point of leaving the immediate area as yet but it wouldn't surprise me if that day comes sooner rather than later. They have a relatively straightforward menu with about four burger choices and then a variety of toppings (almost all of which are free). The burgers are cooked to their temperature standards and served to you almost as soon as they are off the grill. Not a bad bit o' beef if I do say so myself.

The other burger delight I found was in an unlikely of spots. Ordinarily one would assume that a steakhouse or other such place would have a decent burger, but the one I found at McCormick & Schmicks was just fabulous. As I had mentioned in an older blog, once I tried that burger, I was sold! It was cooked as requested and was free of almost any accompaniments save lettuce, tomatoes and onions. A steak purist will have nothing on the meat other than some salt; similarly, a burger purist will not add anything but those three things (and maybe a touch of ketchup). The patty was properly formed and very juicy and the spices and preparation of the meat was just outstanding. Our waiter let us in on another 'secret'; apparently these same burgers are available at happy hour for two bucks! Nothing wrong with that deal!

Two bucks for an excellent burger? How can you not partake? Perhaps because you feel you're getting what you pay for? Well then if that's the case, get yourself down to the New York City to the Boca Raton Resort and Club. There, for a paltry $100 you can enjoy a burger (that they are offering for the first time ever on their menu)! Now what makes this burger so special? Apparently it is a blend of beef from the U.S., Japan and Argentina. It's like the World Cup of Beef. The total cost (after tax and an 18% tip for the waiter who is lucky enough to serve the burger to you) is about $124.50. For that much you would expect something but you get the pleasure of a few tater tot fries, and the happiness in knowing you're eating something that many others will never have a chance to savor. I don't know about you, but for a burger costing that much, I would hope for a salad, or a drink, or even my picture on the wall. But what can I say, I'm a simple man, I'll be happy with a happy hour burger at McCormick & Schmick's anytime!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home