Monday, May 21, 2007

Build a Better Body

My brother and I both grew up watching movies over and over again. We had our favorites which could be considered something like a 'comfort food'. We would watch those movies whenever we were feeling down or needed a boost of energy or excitement. For us, movies like "Star Wars" and "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and "Superman" were all staples, but among them was also "Rocky". Now there is an obvious appeal to films like "Star Wars" and stuff but a film like "Rocky" isn't so obvious given the fact that it is more of a drama than an adventure or action film. The first film in particular is very much a character piece that helps establish the character of Rocky Balboa and help gain him support as the movie goes on. The film, the music and the acting are all very natural and well cast that when watching, you can't help but root for Rocky during his championship fight. One lesson I took away from that movie was that it didn't matter whether or not you won the fight or lost, but ensuring that you had the confidence to know you gave the fight everything you had and left nothing back is what makes a big difference.


My brother and I grew up watching that movie over and over again and when I began working out, I took Rocky as my inspiration. I used to watch the film incessantly when I was on the treadmill at home. Both my brother and I had our films to watch during our workouts on the treadmill and there were very few days where you wouldn't find either one of us running alongside Rocky on the TV screen. He was a good inspiration for us and he helped get us both in shape. Now, almost seven years after beginning our workout routines, both my brother and I are in good shape. I still want to get in better shape but I know I will persevere and keep up the good fight to get in shape.


When we heard that Stallone was making "Rocky Balboa", the sixth movie in the series, there was a bit of hesitation on our part. After all, Stallone is no longer the young man he once was and after his weight gain for the film "Cop Land" he had never been the same. Although he wasn't rotund anymore, he was still, not as cut or strong as he once appeared. Still, when the first few pictures came out from the set, it was impressive to see in what great shape he had managed to get himself. When you watched the DVD you could see him working out and working hard to get that last bit of fat off of his body and turn it into muscle. It gave me a fresh boost of inspiration and made me think that if a guy over fifty can continue to work hard, then so can I.


Then came word that Stallone had run into a bit of trouble while in Australia promoting the movie. It appeared that he had brought bottles of testosterone with him for his personal use. Personal or not, they are considered performance enhancing drugs and so they were not permitted in the country without a permit. It raised a whole controversy over here as to whether it was or wasn't okay for Stallone to use these substances. Athletes had for years come under scrutiny if they used such drugs to boost their power. The question came as to whether or not the star should come under similar scrutiny. I personally didn't think he should be since he's not an actual boxer or athlete. Stallone does it to portray an expected image of himself in the public's eye. If he was actually trading punches with boxers then I agree, he should be punished for his actions but in the case of wanting to stay in shape for movies where he's often required to go sans shirt it makes sense. In the end it appears that all he's going to have to do is pay a fine.


Still, as a person who grew up watching his films and used him as the inspiration to get in shape and stay in shape, it's a bit disappointing to realize that his muscular physique was all likely the result of performance enhancing drugs. For a guy whose run up the stairs in Philadelphia always manages to get me pumped up just a bit more, I felt cheated to think that this very last time he wasn't fueled by desire as much as he may have been fueled by testosterone. I'll always hold "Rocky" and the early movies in the series in high regard. They are the movies that got me to the shape I'm in today. I'll keep the inspiration going, but I'll wonder whether or not everything that's come afterwards is the result of hardwork, or artificial means.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 8:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since Rocky is not an actual real life boxer, he should not be subject to the same restrictions as a real athlete. If there is anything ill legal about the use of testosterones they should not be made available. I believe sometimes these agencies go to the extremes in proving a point.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home