Monday, September 24, 2007

Sunday Traditions

Every family has some tradition or the other on Sunday. Whether it is going to church and then enjoying a family meal together or sleeping in until all hours of the afternoon, everyone has something or the other that they enjoy doing on a Sunday. My family is no different though the way we choose to do it probably covers the wide gamut of interests that we have. It's no secret that I'm a long-suffering Redskins fan (and after yesterday's unbelieveable loss to the Giants I continue to suffer). However, the source of my interest in the Redskins is my mom. From as long as I can remember, she's been the one in the family who has kept the interest in sports alive. Whether it is watching the Redskins or watching tennis, some sports or the other are a part of our traditional Sunday and it's something we enjoy together. Still, that's only part ofthe traditional Sunday that we usually share. Here's a window into what makes it special.


Unless we have been up late the night before, our Sunday begins with breakfast and a long session reading the paper. All of us at home try to catch up with the latest in the world and around the country. It's a long standing tradition that mom and dad have had for as long as I can remember. When we were younger, they would sprawl out in the living room with the radio on, tuned to an Indian radio program that played old-time songs while they read the paper and sales inserts. As we grew older (and the radio program went off the air) we moved it to our now traditional morning breakfast session. For this part at least we are all together and then we begin our day. While we're all doing things around the house, mom and I move to one of our first traditions which is flipping through the various Sunday morning political talk shows.


That's another interest I have definitely developed because of her. Though I'm not as politcally well-versed as some people out there, I am familiar enough with the issues to take an active interest in what many politicians and pundits talk about on the air. When we have our second cup of coffee around mid-morning we are all usually steeped in talk of the latest ramblings of the latest politico trying to salvage his career and make a stand for his political party. Mom and I can often be found discussing it even after the show goes off the air and though we are never at odds with what we discuss, we talk about everything regarding the latest polls to the endless debates which seem to hallmark this year's run up to next year's presidential election season.


Afternoon is usually when our next tradition takes over and when the real fanaticism in the two of us comes to the forefront. Depending on when the Redskins are playing, we'll take our seats in the family room hoping that our latest positions will somehow bring the team luck. It seems to vary from game to game and so many other things seem to hinge on the balance of where we sit and on what we're doing. I have my own Redskins jersey which I attempt to don while watching games but even that seems to have some impact on how the team does. Dad constantly ribs us that if the team is so dependent on the posturing of their fans then they have a lot more to worry about than their opponents. Still, it's part of our love for the game. We watch on pins and needles a lot more these days simply because the team isn't as dominant as it was during the 1980's when I remember cheering as the team won game after game. It wasn't so much a questions of 'if' they would make the playoffs but rather 'when'.


As the team has declined, our love for them hasn't and though we are often frustrated and at a loss as to what to say or do to 'help' the team win, we keep on watching because it is something that we enjoy doing together. We'll share our umpteenth cup of coffee while dad pops in and out of the room noting our latest position in the house and whether I'm wearing my jersey or not. Seeing this helps him figure out whether the team is winning or not. Mom and I will talk strategy in the finest sense of arm-chair quarterbacking this side of the local tavern. We hesitate moving from our 'lucky' spots for this particular game simply because it gives us the feeling that we're doing something for the team too. We haven't quite figured out the positioning yet though we think we have some idea. Both of us take our respective seats on our couches in a reclined position; I don't wear my jersey if I'm at mom and dad's place though I should wear it if I am at my place but only during the second half of the game. All those situations being met, the team has a chance. It may seem inane and ridiculous to put so much stock in such fanatical beliefs, but it's part of the fun that defines football season for me and spending time at my parents place.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home