Monday, November 26, 2007

Black Friday... A New National Holiday

So the Friday after Thanksgiving is soon to be declared a national holiday even for those who already have the day off from work. I was one of those fortunate few who actually had the day off so it was good for me. It's going to be good for others too in light of the fact that people are lining up at all hours of the day and night outside of stores in anticipation of sales and even more so given the fact that stores are opening their doors at all hours of the night. For those who don't know (or have never experienced the madness) they may not know that the Friday after Thanksgiving is known as Black Friday simply because everyone 'traditionally' rushes to stores to begin their holiday shopping. I say 'traditionally' because I think it's a self-fulfilling prophecy and nothing more.


That's not to say that there aren't great deals to be had by going shopping on this day. Since it marks the start of the holiday season, people are looking to get deals on their holiday shopping and in order to entice buyers, stores will offer up seemingly irresistable merchandise for a fraction of the cost in order to get more people to come out. Most retailers know that when they open their doors they will have a rush of customers since it means less than a month for Christmas to roll around. And despite the arguements about the commercialization of Christmas and all related activities, it's not something that's just going to go away. It's here to stay and stay it will as long as people keep rushing to stores in droves the way they have been.


I remember when Black Friday actually began at decent hours on a Friday. We would get up at my place and have a leisurely breakfast before heading out to enjoy a day of shopping at the mall. Over time it has gone from being a fun activity to one of stress simply because if you want to get that great deal, you have to be among the first one hundred people (sometimes less) simply because they have limited quantities of the one item they know everyone wants. And it isn't so much that people want it as much as it is wanting what someone else wants. It's as if we adults revert to childhood and desire things just because someone else wants it. I have seen the same attitude in children so it's no wonder they behave that way when they see grown adults doing it too.


Last year when off to a friend's place to have Thanksgiving with my family friends I passed a Best Buy around 5:30 in the evening and at that time there appeared to be ten people in line. When I came home that night there were approximately 30. This year I drove by at the same time and there were about 40 at 5:30 and then close to double that a few hours later. People set up tents and had chairs and were making a big thing of it. I remember when Thanksgiving was when family and friends gathered together. Now it's more like the day before Black Friday where we get a day off to plan out how we're going to hit all the stores we want to. In a few more years I think there will be a growing number of people who eschew Thanksgiving dinner in lieu of getting a big screen TV they don't really want.


And are the savings that great? Sure; in some cases they are quite good. I mean they were selling a 42" LCD at Sears for $1000. That's not a bad deal in any sense of the term but still, there are only fifty (sometimes more) per store so if you are number 51 in line, chances are you aren't going to get your TV and you'll end up having stood outside in the cold for nothing more than the minor deals on big ticket items. And even the items on sale are a bit... well.... dated. I mean do you think that out of the goodness of their hearts (or pocketbooks) the executives at companies like Best Buy suddenly decide to 'reward' their customers by cutting prices on expensive items so easily? No! They are smartly getting rid of excess inventory by making it seem more enticing. It's like a Lamborghini body on a Pinto frame. Sure it looks like a great deal but it'll likely explode in your face.


I'm not against the idea of Black Friday. I think it's a good thing since all that sales tax revenue eventually goes back to the government where it can be used for better things. I think it's just getting a bit out of hand when you have people lining up at all hours of the day and night waiting for deals that they may not really need. Thanksgiving was started as a time for family and friends to reflect and be thankful for the things and people they have in their lives. For my family it's always been a day full of the traditions that make me appreciate what I have. I don't want to sully that by wondering if I have time for an extra piece of pie before schlepping out into the cold November night to be ready to run (and get trampled) just to pick up a DVD player. I'd rather let the carbs and tryptophane lull me into a warm Thanksgiving slumber.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home