Thursday, February 28, 2008

Cracking Down on Street Racing

A few days ago there was a horrific accident in Maryland where bystanders watching an illegal street race were run down by another car that apparently did not see the people standing in the roadway. The high profile case in which multiple people died has suddenly raised street racing in the collective consciousness of the community despite the fact that it's been a persistant problem for a number of years now. Don't believe me? Next time you're on the highway please note that every so often you'll see someone zoom by everyone else (even if you are already above the speed limit) followed shortly thereafter by about two or three other cars attempting to catch up and pass the first speeder. Most of the time, the other cars are not cop cars.


What is this need that compels a lot of us to speed like this? I admit that I have done it once or twice but nothing like the two gentlemen who had their cars impounded over the weekend. Apparently on Sunday night they were driving down an arterial road in Virginia when they came up to a traffic light. The unwritten and unspoken challenge was delivered; the revving of the car's engine and the race was suddenly on. So enthralled were they with their engine revving that they failed to notice that a short distance behind them was a police cruiser. No sooner the light turned green the cars shot off the line and behind them came the cop. Rather than pulling the two over and merely issuing tickets, the officer handed down a stiffer penalty. He impounded both cars (shown above). I think it was the right decision and should be done with more frequency given the danger a lot of these drivers put other people in.


As I have said, I have sped on occasion but not for any particular reason. Sure there are times when I'm running late and I want to try and make up for lost time but I have tried to avoid those situations that crop up now and again where drivers in souped up looking cars attempt to goad me into a street race. Most of the times all it does is burn off fuel faster and though I'm not a cheapskate, with fuel prices on the rise, it isn't the smartest thing to speed around and burn off fuel with such reckless abandon. But not all speeders are necessarily racing and racers aren't the only ones that need to be pulled over. All too often in the morning rush hour you'll see drivers pulling off crazy antics all in the name of saving a few minutes. Why? Are you that desperate to get to work?


For example, the other day I was driving down a two lane road going a few miles above the posted speed limit. I wasn't by any means holding up traffic when suddenly from behind comes a beat up sedan who proceeds to tailgate me and then speeds around me going into the opposite lane of traffic in order to execute his pass. Putting all of us on the road at that moment in danger what did the driver accomplish? Nothing really. He was ahead of me at the next traffic light. And did he take off from there and leave me behind? Not really; he got stuck behind another car and continued on at a stately pace with me right behind him. All that manuevering and for what? To get one car ahead of me? Seems stupid doesn't it?


It'll be difficult for cops to crack down on all these incidents; after all, there's plenty of other stuff for them to worry about. I think the impounding of the two street racers earlier this week was a wise move and should hopefully send a signal to drivers out there that if and when they get caught, they will be in for a lot more than a costly speeding ticket. They will face having to ride public transportation at least until the get a new set of wheels or spring their car from the slammer. Not a cheap proposition to be sure. I think I'll continue on at my stately pace and learn to curb any urge I get to push my car to the limits. I'm sure I'll be a lot safer that way. I'm sure others around me will be too.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home