Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Ignorance is Bliss

I think there is truth to the old adage that 'ignorance is bliss.' I say this because being a semi-political junkie, I try to keep abreast of what's happening in the world of politics since I live so close to Washington, D.C. and because whatever they decide in D.C. affects all our lives in some way shape or form. Seeing as how this current campaign for the Presidency has been going for seemingly the last decade now, one would think that the nasty campaigns that both parties have led against one another would begin to subside and we would begin to see some form of talk on the issues come to the forefront but sadly, it hasn't been happening.


What has been happening however, is a clear indication that racism and fear of something or someone different is alive and well here in the United States. For all our talk of being a tolerant and accepting society, I think it's clear that we have a long way to go. Sure we accept someone different as long as they don't represent me. God forbid that someone who doesn't believe exactly what I do or who doesn't practice the same religion as me should take power, that person isn't going to care a lick for what I care. Let me tell you all right now, every single candidate out there running for President, whether they are Republican, Democrat or Independent? None of them represents me if that is to be our benchmark. Not a single one of them is of Indian origin (and I mean from India and not Native American descent). Not a single one of them is a practicing Hindu so why should I expect that they would care about my religious views or beliefs?


Sure we'll wax philosophic about how we have freedom of religion or other views and talk about the wonders of Democracy but I can't help but think back to less than a year ago when an Indian priest was asked to deliver the morning prayer during the openning session of Congress for that particular day. Some of the protests were downright reminiscent of religious persecution as one could get. And this was in Congress! The office of government that is supposed to most directly represent me! So am I to overlook that or am I to take that to mean that I can practice my religion or state my beliefs in my own dank corner and let everyone else have their say on the governmental stage? I bring this up because I think one of the sad facts in recent times is that there has been so much lumping of terms and generalizations that we are making ourselves more ignorant instead of less.


I can't help but wonder if Barack Obama would be under such tremendous scrutiny if he hadn't had the name that he does. I seem to recall reading about how Kennedy was under intense scrutiny given that he was a Roman Catholic and that so many people thought that the Vatican would be taking control of our government as a result. I don't think that happened quite the way people feared but still, unless we take that first step, how will we know? I think what many of us fail to understand is the way in which the government is set up. Outside of Washington there is a great deal of mysticism that seems to apply to Washington and even some of those who come to Washington to work in the government seem ignorant of some truths. I can't think of anyone more lost right now than Representative Michele Bachmann of Minnesota who basically equated anyone with liberal views as being staunchly 'un-American'.


In her rant on MSNBC last week she more or less accused Barak Obama of having un-American views and called on the media (isn't this the same media Republicans have been bashing for weeks on end) to investigate and find out how many Congressional leaders are actually un-American. Well if we are to use that criteria then perhaps we need to find out how many Congressional leaders have family serving in Iraq right now and I think we'll find that there are very few. But doesn't support for the War in Iraq and Afghanistan prove your loyalty and patriotism? So then by definition isn't the majority of Congress un-American? Rather than creating an air of fear, with only a handful of days left to the election, shouldn't our leaders be trying to educate us on their plans and not make us dumber? I guess maybe it's too much to hope for.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home