Friday, May 29, 2009

A Turn of Phrase

I believe it was English playwright, Sir George Bernard Shaw who once said that the British and Americans were two people separated by a common language. I think that was probably one of the most astute observations anyone has ever made about the English language and how it can mean so many different things to so many people. However, I don't believe that this misunderstanding can be limited to what many British perceive to be the slaughtering of their language by Americans among others. I think a lot of the confusion comes down to how slang is used in various parts of the world. I say this in light of some news I read the other day where an instructor at a Connecticut police academny bit a student after the student retorted with the jibe, "bite me".


Now anyone who has seen 'The Simpsons' knows that this is a common enough rejoinder that ranks up there with expressions like "Get lost" or "Get out of here" but apparently the instructor took the student at her word and proceeded to bite her on the arm. He has now been brought up on assault charges. Now in this case I know the instructor was probably taking action to prove a point about how the English language and the literal interpretation therein can lead to dangerous consequences but I don't think he intended to get himself arrested in the process. Again, I think it is slang or improper use of the language that has led to so much misunderstanding among so many people.


For someone coming from a foreign country I'm sure there are plenty of expressions both here in the United States and abroad (where English is predominantly spoken) that can lead to some interesting misunderstandings. I can recall a time when in high school and a foreign exchange student from Germany was making a point in my calculus class and when he concluded my teacher responded by saying, "You don't say." which meant that he was pleasantly surprised with what the student said. But the exchange student responded back by saying, "No. I do say. I just said it. Did you not understand?" A simple expression like that was enough to cause confusion and the expression is itself common enough in English that I was surprised with the retort but it made me think about those who aren't exposed to slang or colloquialisms so often.


And it's not just Americans who do it though we are typically the group that catches the most flak for it. I speak a couple of other foreign languages and I can tell that there are phrases even in those which if taken literally can cause a great deal of confusion. Those who have read my site long enough or know me well can tell you that I feel effective communications is something that is a requirement if one wants to have their voice effectively heard. I don't mean that in a literal sense of course but figuratively. If you have a difficult time getting your point across then I am sure that you won't be able to get many people on your side. All's I know is that while I will concede that we Americans are guilty of a confusing turn of phrase, we aren't the only guilty ones out there.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home