Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Remembering an Inspiration

Eighty years ago today, Kishore Kumar, the famous playback singer and actor was born in what is presently known as Madhya Pradesh. Coming from a family of actors including his elder brother Ashok Kumar and his youngest brother Anoop Kumar, it seemed only natural that Kishore Kumar himself would enter into films as well. However his first love was music and despite not having any formal training whatsoever in singing, Kishore Kumar was determined to make it in the industry. With the assistance of his brother Ashok Kumar, Kishore Kumar landed smaller roles in films and managed to sing a few songs before finally making it as a playback singer. But for me, he will always remind me of the songs I used to listen whenever we went on trips someplace.


Music has always been an integral part of my life and my appreciation of Hindi music from years past comes from people like Kishore Kumar. Despite not having been trained as a singer it astounds me at the range and versatility he showed throughout his career. In films like "Padosan" he could sing a melodic love song before turning around and singing a tuneful 'duel' against Manna Dey in the classic 'Ek Chatur Naar' which showcased not only his dynamic range but his comic sense as well. And to me that comic sense is what made him most special. I think it's safe to say that all of us like to laugh but the one thing that always made me appreciate Kishore Kumar's songs and comic acting as well was the natural way in which it seemed to flow from him. His wildly expressive face and his hilarious sounds meant to underscore the humor made it all the more a pleasure to watch him.


One of the films I grew up watching (even though I didn't understand a word of Hindi and the copy we had didn't have subtitles) was "Chalti Ka Naam Gaadi". In it not only does Kishore Kumar provide playback for himself but also presents some of his best comic work that I can recall seeing. Many actors will say that comedy is much harder to do than serious or dramatic roles and I for one can believe it. But in seeing Kishore Kumar's performance in "Chalti Ka Naam Gaadi", I couldn't help but think how easy he made it seem.


Though he acted off and on throughout his career and even though he sang playback for many actors up until his death in 1987, it's probably his songs from the earlier part of his career that mean the most to me since I have been hearing them for so long. In the years since his loss (over 22 years now) many have attempted to replicate his voice and his creative spark but none have really been able to do it. There are few artists who are ever truly irreplaceable and special but I do believe that Kishore Kumar was certainly one of them. He may be gone but his comic timing, his wonderful voice and the impact it has had on so many will ensure that we remember him for many many more years to come.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home