Monday, August 07, 2006

More Work Than Work


The last two weeks have been a whirlwind tour of so many different companies that I've barely had time to catch my breath. I have finally landed a job with a firm located in Alexandria. After commuting there for three years, I figured I'm used to the commute so there's nothing against going back there. Although I am a bit farther from a lot of my usual haunts, I'm happy to be with a great company and to be working with a great group of people. The journey to this happy point was an experience though.

Prior to landing this job I had worked for two companies both of which contacted me initially. I had not searched long when both of them had contacted me and called me in for an interview. At the time I was fresh out of college with a lot of professional summer jobs to my credit so it was difficult to prove to prospective companies just how much or how little I was capable of. This time however, my search for work was quite different. I was laid off and searching for new work. I had enough in my savings to last me a couple of months and I was fairly confident that I would land a job in short order. I just didn't realize how exhausting the whole process would be!

The two weeks began, like any work week, on a Monday. Usually Monday's I would wake up to phone calls requesting more information about me. You give the usual details that any employer asks for and hope like heck to hook the recruiter or HR representative. Generally if things seemed to go well and if they still remained interested they would schedule a time for an interview. Most companies these days are hot on the lookout for employees and turnaround time is quite short. Most companies called me in for an interview within a day or two. Usually by Monday afternoon I was already booked for most of the week in terms of interviews. After so many days I was back to wearing a shirt and tie.

Interviewing is always stressful. You want to make a good impression; you want to answer all the questions that you are asked, and you always hope that what you say will be appealing enough that the company calls you in for a second interview or feels good enough about you to make you an offer. Unless you're an absolutely stellar person, they generally will not let you know right away so you are in that position of waiting on pins and needles, hoping that you will be picked up soon. I was never worried as to whether I'd land a job; worrying wouldn't help and it wouldn't affect how fast or slow a decision was made and it would only give me heartburn so I took it in stride. At least I hope I did; the punching bag in my spare bedroom may say different.

No matter what, nearly every interview is the same. You answer similar questions and ask similar things of each company. It's so hard for either side to make a decision after only a brief time together. And the time together can vary from company to company. Some are quite efficient in that they try not to waste your time by making sure you meet with most, if not all members of the team you'll be working with. Others prefer to take the lackadaisical approach and let things go free reign! Still and all, it was enlightening to see how interviews are handled in smaller firms versus larger firms. In case you're wondering, many times it is the smaller firm that handles you with the most care and respect and as a result they will often win mine in return.

So I have landed a job. I had a lot of friends and loved ones backing me up during those three weeks that I was sans job, but it was never unpleasant. I take the same approach that I try to have in life in general. Be happy... hope for the best... and keep things light! You can't do much more than that!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home