Tuesday, December 12, 2006

From Sea to Shining Sea


About three years ago my brother moved out to the west coast to the city of San Francisco to pursue his masters. At the time he basically moved out there with his clothes and the basics we figured he needed at the time at the start of his masters program. Three years later he's completed his degree in film and television and is ready to move back to the east coast while he searches for a job. Seeing as how I had some time, I decided to head out to San Francisco to give him a hand in moving back home. I had visited him several times during his stay here and in that time, I realized that he had made his home here quite comfortable.

When we moved him out here to San Francisco three years ago, it was a relatively simple affair seeing as how my parents, brother and I each packed two suitcases with his stuff as well as some of our own supplies and then flew it over. We spent that first week helping acquire the things he would need. Pots, pans, and various paraphenilia. That year that we moved him out here was a year filled with moving. Earlier in the year I had moved out of the house into my condo in Virginia. In August we moved him out to the west coast and in October my parents moved into their new home. I had had my fill of cardboard and packing tape for some time. I guess the absence of it from my life for so long was also part of my desire to wanting to help him move.

After flying in over the weekend we began the daunting task of beginning to clean out his roommate's room and then rid ourselves of a lot of trash. We then got ourselves some moving boxes and slowly over the course of only two days, we are already living in a home of cardboard boxes and packing tape. Three years is a long time and in the scheme of acquiring any possessions, it's a very long time. Think about it, in the course of a week you acquire something here and something there. Over the course of a month, all those things add up. By the time you have hit twelve months, you have a nice pile built up and multiplied over three years, you have a huge pile of stuff. It's fun going through all the things and trying to organize the bits and pieces and prepare to move it back home. It's all part of the adventure of going from one coast to the other.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home