Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Can We Get Any Lazier?

The iPod will probably go down as one of the most profitable inventions of the early 21st Century. Until something smaller and more versitile comes along, I don't think anything will come to replace the iPod for a while. As a fairly recent convert (and addict) of the iPod I will admit that it's amazing to consider that I currently have over 7 days (days!!) worth of music on something the size of an old audio cassette tape. I can hear some of the younger readers out there scratching their heads wondering what an audio cassette is but trust me, the older generation out there knows to that's good enough for me.


In terms of what that means for me personally, well, whenever I take a trip, whether it is a road trip or overseas trip, I always love to have music along with me. It's important in setting the mood and keeping the energy going and so I like to carry a wide variety with me. Previously I used to have to carry a limited number of tapes or CDs in order to sustain myself. In no time at all I would have loaded myself to the limit and ended up with a bag that weighs more than my checked luggage (or so it would seem). Compound that with the fact that I also need to have books to read with me, then you can quickly realize why I have such heavy hand luggage. But not anymore! Now with my iPod, I can carry much more music with a fractional amount of space being taken up!


With such an easy interface and set up, almost anyone, from the tech savvy to the tech clueless, are able to get up and running in no time. You can quickly scroll through your music without having to do anything more than use your fingers to scroll and click your selections. Of course, there are some who feel that even this is too much. Leave it to the Japanese to come up with a solution. The image above is a new interface that has been developed for use with an iPod. Sure it looks like a pair of headphones connected to the iPod but it is actually a rig that also goes in the mouth and so you can control the scrolling and clicking with your mouth movements. Now I find this idea to be both fascinating and ludicrous at the same time.


It's fascinating to me because it's an example of someone taking an idea and making yet another peripheral invention for it. I mean walk into virtually any store and you will undoubtedly find a section with material meant to 'enhance' your iPod. From squishy protective sleeves to mobile transmitters, the iPod is one accessory that has spawned a large peripheral market that is constantly on the lookout for the latest add-on. Still, I find this new invention a bit, well.... dumb. The tooth control was supposedly invented so that iPod users would not have to use their hands to interface with the iPod. This was considered to be an ideal add-on for those who regularly use the overly crowded trains in Japan and can't let go of the bars to use their iPod.


Maybe it's just me but that seems a bit extreme. Are we all that tied up that we can't spend a few seconds doing nothing more than what amounts to tracing circles in the air and tapping? Perhaps it is meant to avoid drawing attention to the fact that you are carrying an iPod as an effort in avoiding iPod theft. I don't think that can be the case because until someone invents wireless earphones that fit into the ear with no visible signs, people will always know when you're listening to something. Perhaps it's meant as a way of avoiding unnecessary jostling in crowded trains. Perhaps. So instead of jostling, you'll see a train full of people moving their mouths with the same movements as cows.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home