Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Super Fans

As most of my regular readers know, I am a sports fan. Now that doesn't mean that I leave normal life behind over the weekends and become a denizen of the local sports bar or in the area immediately surrounding the nearest TV but I do enjoy watching a game in support of my favorite team, which in this case happens to be the Washington Redskins. They have been on the long, long road to regaining the prominence they once held back in the early 80's and 90's though they have not come close to that form other than on a few occasions. Back in about 1999, despite the slump the team appeared to be in, I purchased a jersey to show my support for the team. I know that the play of the team wasn't suddenly magically improved by my single purchase but for me it was a sign of solidarity with my long-suffering team and a sign that through thick and thin, I was no fair weather friend.


Shortly after my purchase of the jersey I noticed that the slump the team had been experiencing seemed to improve and I took it as a sign of the Sports Gods that perhaps this was an omen and something that had to be done in order for the team to go back to its winning ways. Now my dad is always quick to point out that a team that needs their fans to dress a certain way or act in a certain manner on game day is probably already in a lot more trouble than they care to comment upon but be that as it may, both my mom and I have our little quirks for watching games. The years they have gone to the playoffs or done reasonably well (and for the Redskins in recent years, that means finishing even one game better than 8-8) we will follow a similar ritual.


We occupy the same locations on the couch and go through the same routines. Variances in this routine not withstanding the team still seems to play as if driven by some other force and so regardless of what we do, there is often little or no effect to our taking the time to do these rituals. So then why do them? Well, for the same reason that the gentleman (and I assume it's a gentleman and not a devilish demon) pictured in this blog and that answers the question. We do it because in some small way it allows us to become 'part' of the team. I have never had the physique or physical acumen to be able to play at a professional, semi-professional or even pee-wee level. My play time was limited to weekend afternoons in the backyard with friends. Still, despite my lack of actual skill, my ability to wear a jersey can never be questioned.


For the fans out there, even those with the skill, this is a way to show support, love and affection for their particular team of choice and sport of their choice. There are those who take that devotion to extremes and you may have the chance to encounter them on occasion. Case in point is the gentleman devil shown here or some of the other hellions you occasionally run into on game day. I remember attending a Redskins game in 2003 with my mom when the Redskins were playing their hated division rivals, the Philadelphia Eagles. It was fun to be there but a bit intimidating to be surrounded by more Eagles fans than Redskins fans. Needless to say, I kept my jacket over my jersey and tried not to show my utter disappointment in the proceedings (the team lost and lost badly that night). Still, as I sat in what was supposed to have been a sea of burgandy and gold instead of green and silver, I couldn't help but see so many fans showing their support in so many different ways. Whether it was simply wearing a shirt or painting their faces, fans were out in force.


Such devotion can be a good thing because it is great motivation for a team to see so many out there wearing their colors and shouting their support. It's even better when they're winning because the voices of support grow louder. I will continue my rituals but I certainly won't take them to the extremes like wearing the same socks game in and game out on the chance that it will help secure victory. I'm not a player so I shouldn't partake in such rituals. Donning a jersey and cheering with the TV is more normal... and preferable... to me.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home