Friday, February 01, 2008

Smoking Bans


So the state of Maryland took the plunge and has officially banned smoking from all restaurants and bars. Non-smokers across the region are rejoicing but those who still light up are not quite as happy. Previously, there was a limited ban on smoking in certain parts of the state in restaurants or bars but now that ban has spread to the entire state. As a non-smoker I'm happy to have smoke-free environments but I can understand the ire of some smokers. The way I see it, smoking is a completely voluntary thing. The way we choose to drink alcohol is the way we choose to smoke. But you just can't walk into any place and start drinking alcohol can you? Similarly, you generally can't (and shouldn't) be able to walk into any place and start lighting up. Now I don't mean that smokers should have their own restaurants or anything of the sort but it's not the same as with something like alcohol. When you're having alcohol, generally those around you don't suffer the consequences. Unless of course you have too much and puke on someone.


But seriously, I don't smoke so then why should I be exposed to someone else's exhaust when I'm trying to enjoy a drink. I can't remember the number of times I've walked out of bars and clubs with bleary eyes. Not because of the excessive drinking but because of the clouds of cigarette smoke I have endured during my time inside. And not being a smoker, the smell of smoke eventually permeates every pore of my body and seemingly every folicle of hair on my head. Until I shower up and wash my clothes, the smell never seems to disappear. It's an annoyance more than anything. Restaurant and bar owners are concerned that this ban being enforced statewide is going to adversely affect their businesses. It's possible but I don't think it's very likely. Why? Well simply because if you don't eat, you die... eventually.


I understand that for some smokers, smoking is a necessity rather than an option. They are so addicted to the nicotine rush that they really can't get through the day without a hit. I have a mild form of dependency on caffeine. If I don't have my morning and mid-morning coffee, I often develop headaches. I understand then the compulsion or desire to have it when you need it but unfortunately cigarette smoke includes those who don't wish to 'enjoy' it either. Still, while I can deal with the headaches due to lack of caffeine and smokers can probably endure a short duration without cigarette smoke, not having food for long periods of time will have greater impact and harm than not having either caffeine or nicotine. So do I think the ban will adversely affect patronage at local restaurants and bars? Not in the least. At least not enough to suddenly have abandoned restaurants suddenly popping up.


I remember stories of how office buildings used to be full of smokers at one point in time. Smoking was considered the normal part of the workday and smokers would smoke at their desks the way we coffee drinkers would down gallons of coffee. But when smoking was banned from offices, was there a sudden decrease in the number of workers working in offices? No; they simply took longer breaks by stepping out to designated smoking areas to have a smokers break. Just like food, work is also a necessity and if you don't work, you won't have money for very long to pay for your cigarettes so compromise is a must. In an age when parents (and some adults) are so freaked out about how much someone smokes around them, it will probably boost attendance at places where there was previously limited attendance due to smoke. In any case, all it will mean at the worst is that smokers again have to step out to get a smoke, but shouldn't they already be used to that?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home