Monday, March 10, 2008

Playing with Reality

I remember as a kid playing games with toys that at least had some semblence of reality. I think this can be true of most kids out there. As kids we generally based our imaginary games in the reality that we had come to know or that we learned by watching TV and movies. I grew up on a steady diet of action adventure shows and movies and as such that's what a lot of my games revolved around. It helped to have imaginary outlets like Lego blocks that allowed me to 'build' what my imagination wanted to see. Sometimes I'd get specialized sets to live out those fantasy games in my head. These days there are more and more sets out there that don't require as much imagination to build since they are all ready for you. But what worries me is that perhaps we're getting a bit too caught up in reality.


I was browsing Amazon the other day and I happened across a new Playmobil play set that has been released and was surprised to discover what it was. It was a specialized playset for an airport security checkpoint with metal detector, x-ray belt, and officer with metal-detecting wand. Now while I applaud the Playmobil company for reaching for the heights of reality by coming up with a playset that brings this level of reality to a child's world but is it really necessary? I only ask because while growing up, I can never recall my games basing themselves in this level of realism. I mean in any of my games with army men, I didn't have the political fallout or discussions going on in the background while my toy soldiers fought for their cause. They simply fought for right and wrong (or control of the sofa) because it was the right thing to do. If they had to 'fly' their imaginary helicopters from point A to point B they didn't have to worry about the rising prices of oil and fuel or that Congress was thinking of cutting funding for certain programs.


I never thought that such levels of realism were needed or even necessary. I guess subconsciously I knew that reality would soon rear its ugly head and that once I reached that point in life I would have enough of it to make up for lost time. Though I wasn't intelligent enough to know it at the time, more likely it was just a case of childhood bliss leading to ignorance of what reality had in store. I guess kids nowadays will have more insight into it since they'll be able to imagine for themselves the day-to-day drama of life replete with airport security checkpoints. But if we're going to make playsets on this then why not the other aspects of life? We're getting close to tax time, why not include something on tax accounting offices. You know, have a little desk with a chair. The accountant can have a computer and filing cabinets along with a 'customer' who will come with a file of tax forms and receipts. And don't forget the little toy W-2 forms.


What about having playsets on other bureaucratic nonsense that kids should know about from childhood? I mean if they are interested enough to play travel games with security checkpoints then certainly they'll be more interested in other parts of life that are just as important. How about the office for IT professionals. They can get a little cubicle and have a computer terminal with little or no light. The game will be completely devoid of anything else other than the cubicle and the computer. I'm sure kids will love to imagine what life in an office will be like for eight hours a day (at least). Perhaps a concession or accessory to the set would be the inclusion of the ubiquitous office coffee pot (empty of course... or with less than a cup remaining). There's a real dose of reality. Perhaps by showing kids these things they will do what I have realized and that is not be in such a hurry to grow up.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home