Thursday, August 14, 2008

Proud of Geekdom

Jay Maynard became something of a legend a few years ago after he rocketed to fame for his internet nom-de-plume and persona, Tron Guy. So named for the costume he wore at a sci-fi and comic convention in 2003, Maynard had photos of himself posted on the internet and shortly thereafter the photos took on a life of their own. Thinking that by wearing the costume at the convention, fans of similar ilk to him would make minor comments and perhaps a few statements of praise and then the episode would be forgotten. Not to be so. Soon thereafter the photos hit the foward circuit and within days his 'legend' was born.


Now most people who have read my blog know that I'm not one to spread a lot of details on the internet simply because you don't know where your photos will end up or how they will be used or where that information could be used against you. There are so many stories of how employers found 'incriminating' photos against employees or how criminals have used the internet to prey on innocent victims so I'm quite aware that anything that goes on the internet is bound to be shown somewhere else and not necessarily in the context that it was first used. For example; the photo I use as my profile shot here on Blogger was used in a crank call video shown on YouTube. Luckily the person who's voice I was representing didn't come off looking like a major ass but still, the photo shown is mine. I had no idea it was used and I only found out after my cousin sent me the link. (If you're really that interested, go on YouTube and do a search for "Jack Nicholson Crank Call" and you should find it... my picture is right in the beginning).


But I digress. So Maynard, no particularly big fan of the 1982 movie "Tron", became the target of many negative comments on his size, shape and marital status. For those who love to poke fun at not-so-young sci-fi and comic fans, he became something of a poster child. Talk show host Jimmy Kimmel invited him to his show one evening and the intent was to undoubtedly ridicule him on television, much to the obvious delight of the audience who stood ready to laugh. But Maynard decided to approach the situation and answer the questions as if it was a serious discourse. He did this with every single interview he gave prior and after this point and it was his matter-of-fact discussion that led him to gain something unprecedented. Respect.


Sure there are lots of jokes still circulating about him but still, he's taken his punches and continued on. As a fellow-geek I can relate to his frustrations and anger at being made fun of in this way. I am still very much a fan of movies and sci-fi and comics but then again, I know I'm not alone. I'm certainly not dressing up as Maynard does but then again, Maynard doesn't dress up like Tron all the time either but because of his reputation, his media appearances always have him in costume. That's a sign of someone comfortable in what they're doing and proof that no matter what, if you like something you should stick to your guns and stand by the fact that you do.


I remember that since childhood I always had a passion for "Star Wars". It continues to this day and though I'm not one of those manic fans that buys up anything and everything related to "Star Wars" I have a collection that could be considered anything but 'paltry'. But I embrace my geekdom. I sit happily in the theatres on opening nights of movies and admire fans who come in costume getting into the spirit of the occasion. Think it's stupid? Then why the Hell do people wear jersey's of football or basketball players even if they have not the size, shape, or even a tenth of the skills of these athletes? It's because it helps us feel that we're a part of something. For good or for bad, it's something somewhat healthy. I grant you that Maynard may not be a 'chick magnet' but at least he is doing what he likes and has had his noteriety turn into something somewhat better. That's as it should be.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every chick magnet may not be a geek but the reverse is not necessarily true.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home