Thursday, June 29, 2006

Why I Like Superman


As I mentioned in yesterday's blog, Tuesday night, I went to see "Superman Returns" at the theatre. Growing up, I always enjoyed watching the old movies or shows. I remember watching the episode with George Reeves on "I Love Lucy" and I remember watching the various cartoon incarnations on TV. In the beginning the fascination was with the fact that there was nothing that Superman couldn't do. He couldn't be hurt by anything save for kryptonite (and not everyone had a piece lying around). He could fly, he was strong. He was a lot of things many of us couldn't be. It was a fantasy of many kids to be someone like him. As I got older, I continued to read the comics (why beat around the bush and call them 'graphic novels'... they'll always be comics to me) and a lot of the stories dealt with the character in a very mature and realistic light. And as I read these things I came to respect the character so much more.

Superman's origins are known to most everyone out there. His biological parents sent him to Earth after their home planet of Krypton showed signs of exploding. On Earth he was raised by the Kent's on a farm in Kansas. From there, after his powers developed, Superman came to Metropolis and began living his dual life spending time as a reporter and as Superman. That's the basic stuff that appeals to the kid in all of us. It's the deeper part of it that appeals to me. With all these powers and abilities, Superman could easily use them for corrupt purposes. Why stop a bank robbery when you can pull one?

To borrow a line from rival super-hero Spider-Man, 'with great power comes great responsibility'; and as person growing up in the world today, it is important to understand exactly what that means. Each of us has the power, the power to help, the power to heal the power to hurt. But the way in which we choose to used these 'powers' is what defines us as a person. Superman always stepped in to help those in need. He never asked why or whether there was some reward for him. He never sought compensation for what he did, nor did he ever seek accolades. He did it because it was the right thing to do and the right time to do it. Even then, there are times where even all those great powers are not enough to save a world. If you ever have the opportunity, there is a wonderful book written by Paul Dini and illustrated by Alex Ross on Superman entitled "Superman: Peace on Earth"; it touches on exactly this point.

I may not be a Superman who can fly or bend steal bars or turn back the world. But in my own small way, I can help make a difference to those around me and those I come in contact with. I can choose to help without seeking reward. It doesn't have to be something as largely noble as world peace, but it can be something as simple as helping a child learn to read. In that way, we can all be superheroes who can give the world to someone. Make someone smile, make them laugh. When times are tough, nothing makes as much of an impact as brightening someone's day with a bit of humor and appreciation. We all have shoulders, and we all have our own burdens heaped upon them, but use those shoulders to help someone in need take some of their load off. It can be more help than you can realize. It's the little things that change the world in time. Hmmm... I guess I can be a Superman after all.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home