Friday, January 12, 2007

Getting There is Half the Fun


I like to think that I am a well accustomed traveller. I made my first long trip to India when I was less than a year old. Those days (don't I sound nostalgic?) the journey was rarely ever direct. The journey typically began in DC for us and then we would fly to London or Frankfurt before taking off again for stops in Pakistan before hitting Bombay. When you're a kid, the first few hours on the plane are the best because you are still getting used to all the sights and sounds. You enjoy everything going on because it's a rare experience. As you get older it becomes more and more routine until, as it is now, it can become a hassle. Perhaps that's why I'm becoming more and more nostalgic about the old days. The journey these days no longer begins when the plane takes off; rather it begins the moment you begin packing the bags. What you end up taking with you, especially on long haul trips can either make or break the journey.

I learned early on that I was a person who required a moderate amount of distraction to keep me occupied. Don't get me wrong, I love to fly, but it's also part of the reason I am such a bad traveller, I can rarely fall asleep on a plane, simply because I'm just too excited to be there. But on long haul flights there tend to be down times as well. You usually begin your journey late in the day so that after you take off it's near bed time but for someone like me, I keep looking around. If I end up near the window, then even in the dark of night in the middle of the ocean I'll keep looking to see if I see anything. I used to pack toys to play with during the trip which was okay since I was such a skinny little kid that the seat I sat in would be huge in comparison to me. It made for plenty of playing space. As time went on, and the industry got more competitive, the seats seemed to shrink. For those suffering from clausterphobia it's definitely not the place to be for too long.

So, when packing my bag these days I always ensure that I have an ample supply of books to read. I am often teased about the fact that I carry so many books but for me it is a necessity. I remember my trip to San Francisco last month, I ended up carrying four books on my journey of one week. As always, I was told I wouldn't have time to read even half of them. Lo and behold, by the time the trip out there was done I had already polished off two books. So, one of the best things you can carry with you to pass the time are books. But supposing you aren't a reading buff, let's continue to explore then.

I am also a big believer in carrying music along for a journey. I am a bit old fashioned in that I still prefer to carry my CD player as opposed to my MP3 player. An iPod or any such similar device certainly makes the journey go that much faster since you're listening to music you enjoy. I have definitely made attempts to listen to the radio stations in the planes but it's not as good as listening to your prefered hits. Indeed, when I listen to the radio in the plane, if I'm on an airline lucky enough to broadcast the cockpit transmissions I listen to those intently since I'm an aviation buff.

Supposing you aren't a music or reading fan, what then? Another device which has made time pass by faster is the hand held gaming systems out there like Game Boy. With the cartridges shrinking to the size of postage stamps these days it is possible to journey to faraway lands and live a life of high adventure even if you're stuck in a seat for sixteen hours. Some would say to carry your laptop, and that works too, but for some folks, it is just too enticing to begin working on actual office work as opposed to anything else. I prefer to do something a bit more fun. If none of those are an option there is always the stand by of walking around the plane. Of course this is also a bit deadly these days since the undercover Federal Air Marshal may assume you to be plotting something devious. Perhaps laps of the plane isn't the best idea.

When packing these things remember to do it carefully and pay attention to the rules of security. These days I tailor my travel attire to (hopefully) avoid any strange delays at the machines. I rarely, if ever carry any liquids anymore; I don't wear a belt since I usually end up having to take it off as I pass through the metal detector anyways. I keep my money clip, watch and cell phone in my carry on bag so that it doesn't set anything off. I know to keep my shoes in a seperate bin and to remove my jacket. I wear slip on shoes that make for easy removal and putting on. I do all these things because despite the hassle that can sometimes come from air travel these days, it is still an experience.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home